Saturday 29 November 2014

Zenithal Highlights anyone?

It's when painting in this style that you really become greatful for your airbrush. I really would have hated doing a gradient like that with a conventional brush.
The colour is vallejo imperial blue with airbrush thinner, then progressive additions of vallejo air white. The zenithal highlights on this Night Lord are a 3 part process and you should use the 0.2mm needle on your airbrush so you can do the fine bits (because masking and waiting for drying on every armor panel would be agonising).
Next step for me will be the iconic Night Lords painted lightning on the armor, followed by non-metallic metal on all the parts that need it. I ordered vallejo's nmm set last week, so I'm hoping it arrives soon. Can't wait to finish painting this guy!!

2 comments:

  1. Byron,
    What do you use to vent the airbrush? I've been trying to come up with a rig. It's turning winter here and I can't airbrush in the garage anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually got a cheap spray-booth off ebay. You can sort of see the padding in the background of the pictures there. It only cost me about $100AUD and usually does the trick. It's like a collapsible box with and extractor fan at the back and a big pipe that I have leading to a box.

      Delete